Sure, you’ve had chicken tamales before, but how about in casserole form? This take on the traditional Mesoamerican tamale packs the same heat, while adding in some perfect cornbread crunch. Grab a cold beer, and your weeknight dinner is all set!
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup creamed corn
- ½ can (4.5 oz) diced green chilis
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 can chilis in adobo sauce (1 chili only)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups Mexican cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- Cilantro, chopped
- Green onion, chopped
- Avocado slices
- Jalapeno, sliced
- Red onion
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Whisk in egg, butter, buttermilk, creamed corn and chilis.
- Pour into your Stargazer Cast Iron skillet and bake for 15 minutes or until batter is set and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a food processor, create the sauce by pulsing the tomatoes, adobo chili, garlic and salt together.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add a touch of oil then the shredded chicken. Pour sauce over chicken and cook until the majority of the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour chicken mixture over the top of the cornbread in an even layer. Top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is hot and melted.
- Top with cilantro, green onion, avocado, jalapeno and red onion and serve.