You want to know the only thing better than dessert? A cast iron skillet dessert, of course! Oh, and one made in a Stargazer skillet, to be specific. Dessert may not be the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear cast iron, but remember: your cast iron skillet can do so much more than just perfectly sear a steak!
So what makes the best cast iron skillet dessert? It has to be something warm, gooey, and sweet, for sure, but since you’re baking it the oven, you want some texture and crunch as well. We think we’ve come up with the answer here. Behold, our Raspberry Rhubarb Crumble.
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped
- Zest and juice from ½ lemon
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Vanilla ice cream, optional, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Make the filling. In a large bowl, add raspberries, rhubarb, lemon zest and juice, sugar, and cornstarch. Toss to combine. Spread evenly into bottom of your Stargazer Cast Iron skillet.
- Make the topping. In another bowl, combine flour, oats, light brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter and using your fingers, mix until you have large crumbles.
- Scatter the topping evenly over fruit, covering it completely.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until fruit juices are bubbling around outside edges. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown top. Allow to cool before serving.
Note: The crumble will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 1 week. It’s great at room temperature, or you can warm it back in the oven just before serving.
See, it’s easy! You’ll bake a delectable dessert that doesn’t rack up the calories, and can be made ahead of time for a party or enjoyed over the course of several days.
You can pair this with our Mexican Spaghetti Squash Skillet for a lethal combination that will leave your guests in awe. And yes, we do know that making both of these recipes may require an investment in another Stargazer skillet 😏. But hey, who says you aren’t allowed to have more than one high end cast iron skillet?
What are some of your favorite cast iron skillet desserts? Drop us a line in the comments below. Until text time, this is Team Stargazer saying we’ll miss you… raspberry… berry much?… Yikes, these puns are crumbling right before our eyes… We promise we’re done now. *Grabs keyboard; throws it out of window.*